View Profile Michael-Flaherty

1 Movie Review

Awesome theme

the cartoon was good and all but that theme song just blew me away!

NoComicsComics responds:

Hehe, glad you got to see the cartoon. I'll tell you what, the theme is my favorite part of the series.

28 Audio Reviews

Nice! I like how it starts simple and creates like a mysterious serene tone, and you're able to keep that even when adding in drums and piano. I think those pads could use a little bit more movement to them, or I'm sure exactly how to describe it but each time when those pad chords start, it has a little swell and then it just sits on that note and maybe it has the effect you want but it can sound a little bland.
I don't know why but I really like the cut to silence at 2:45.
I like all the sounds you used.

Very nice! I like the start of the song, like how it goes from one thing to the next so quickly (sound effect -> a little melody -> octave beeps -> ascending notes -> level start -> rest of the song). I'm sure you wrote it that way because you're envisioning how the bonus stage would go and and are writing to that, but I just like the energy/unpredictability of it. My only criticism is I feel the rest of the song kind of settles into a routine repeats the refrain and varies just with instrumentation (I did like the instrumentation of the last bit with the strings on melody). I enjoy how upbeat and fun the melody is! Definitely fits the idea of a bonus stage.

Love to see people doing awesome things with FM8! The jumpy/plucky synth at the beginning is really nice, very full of energy gets the song off to a great start. So many of the sounds are great actually, it sounds like you switch between two different snare drums and I like one of them a lot, its nice and crunchy. The "GO" at 0:28 obviously is killer. I lovvve what almost sounds like birds chirping at 1:34. Did you make that in fm8? The lead instrument at 2:40 also very smooth. I mean you use that reverby violin sound all throughout the song but for some reason to me it sounds especially nice at that moment.

I can't comment on the mix too much cause I'm listening this on crappy laptop speakers, but it seems you make full use of frequency range and the mix sounds not too muddy and things seem quite clear overall.

I would say the melodies and chords are just a touch generic. But again, I think you make up for that a lot with how interesting your sounds are.

I almost feel this could be in the background for an endless runner type game? It just seems like less of something that demands your attention and more like something that could be in the background of a movie or a game. Thats probably due to the repetitive nature of the song.

Overall I really like it. I'm glad you decided to spend time polishing the song, it definitely showed through.

Felocai responds:

Wow, thats a nice review, thanks.
The sound at 1:34 is not any kind of plugin, its just a sample of singing birds I've downloaded from the internet.
The melodies may sound kinda childish and generic, but that's an effect, that I've wanted to get, I've wanted this song to be extremely happy, but I get your point.
Olso when I was making this song, I've wanted it to be like a soundtrack from something, so it may be a little repetitive, but I see you understand this.
Anyways, thanks for rewieving and I'm really glad you like it.

27, Male